Thanks

Union and Duplicates (2002)

I am attempting to find duplicate records between two tables and the recordset will eventually be used behind a form.

I use two queries that each select 5 fields from the different tables. I then use a union query to combind the first two queries and produce a nice 131,000 sorted recordset in about 2 seconds.

I use the duplicates wizard on the union query to find duplicates on the sorted field and wow did it ever slow down. After 20 minutes it was still running. I believe for each record, it
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Union and Duplicates (2002)

Why not create a query based on the two tables, with a join on the field on which you're testing for duplicates?

BTW, a union query will suppress duplicate records by default, unless you specify UNION ALL. (A duplicate means that all 5 fields are equal)

Thanks

Hi Hans,

A join would put two customers on the same records. With a union I put them on separate records but combine the two tables and then browse each record via a form.

Would your approach work if the two tables have duplicates within its own table as well as between the two tables which is my situation? I may not have any other choice.
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I thought that you wanted to find out which records were duplicates between the tables. A join on two tables will clearly not locate duplicates within the tables.

Thanks

Sorry Hans. I should have mention that that was another reason I was using a union. I guess I'm stuck using a union and then finding the duplicates within that.

I would hate to have to create a table from the union to speed it up because any updates would not get back to the original tables without writing an update query to run at a later time.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Would it be possible to merge the tables permanently?

Thanks

That's a good suggestion. It's either that or make a temporary table and work my way back with any updates. It might be a good reason to convince my user to combine the two tables. Now might be the time to do that. Thanks for the help.