Thread: Labels (2000)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Labels (2000)

I have two tables, one with resident information (names, birthdate, etc) and then another table for emergency contact info for each resident. The resident PK is a foreign key in the emergency contact table. In the emergency contact table multiple emergency contacts for each resident are listed in a different record (row) rather than one record with field names such as "contact name 1" "contact 1 phone" etc. I wanted to print labels of the resident name and a list of all emergency contacts on one label. I created a query for this but unfortunately if a resident has lets say two emergency contacts two separate records appear in in the query and therefore two labels - so the first label shows "Jane doe" and one emergency contact and then the next label shows "jane doe" and her other emergency contact. Have I really messed up in setting up these tabels or is there someway around this where "jane doe" shows up on one label with a list of all emergency contacts also on that one label? Do I need to redo the emergency contact table to show fields as mentioned above - Contact 1 name, contact 1name, etc. I hope this is clear. Thank you.

Dorothy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Labels (2000)

You should use a subreport to list the emergency contacts and use the resident PK as link field.
    Francois

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Francois,

I am confused. I am not sure how to get labels from the subreport. I meant Avery labels if there was a misunderstanding there. They will be used to put on badges to list contact info etc. I am creating a label mergel tablet in Word with the data source as a query, which is where I am getting into trouble. If I am missing something (very possible, lol) can you give me more detail? Thanks.

dorothy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What Francois meant is that you should create a label report based on the first table (resident information). This report should have the layout suitable for your Avery labels, and it should contain a text box bound to the name of the resident.
    Next, create a small report based on the emergency contact table, consisting only of a detail section with a text box bound to the name field. If opened by itself, this report should display a list of all emergency contacts below each other.
    Place this report as a subform on the main report, and set the Link Child Field and Link Master Field properties to the resident ID field. Take care that the size of the label doesn't change when you put the subreport on the main report.
    Because the subreport is linked to the main report by the resident ID, each label will display the name of a resident together with a list of all emergency contacts for that resident.