Lounger
    Thanks

'Negative' custom dictionary entries (2000 Pro)

Is there a way to create "negative" entries in a custom dictionary (or even in the regular one)? What I need is to have Word flag down certain words during spell-check that aren't misspelled, but that do not follow the conventions for a specific file.

For example, I'm a copy editor. Our company writing conventions state that Web and Internet should always be initial-capped (at least when refering to the "Information SuperDuperHighway"). I would like to be able to flag "web" and "internet" during spell check, just to make sure I don't miss one -- even though they aren't misspelled. And there are plenty more examples where that came from.

If it helps, I'm pretty savvy with VBA...
    Thanks.

Andy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Negative' custom dictionary entries (2000 Pro)

How about creating custom Auto Correct entries?
    Carla

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Negative' custom dictionary entries (2000 Pro)

There is something called an exclude dictionary. This flags words which might be either correct or mispelled but are actually correct spellings both ways - liar and lira. Is one a typo?

An exclude dictionary, like a custom dictionary is an ASCII (txt) file with one word per line and has the ".exc" extension. This file should be placed in the same folder as the dictionary you are using. The normal path is in /application data/microsoft/proof

Add whatever words you want to this file when you create it.

Fred