New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting a network with a usb/ethernet dsl modem

I am having problems setting my network through my dsl modem. I have the modem connected with usb to my computer with an ip address and dns address set. The other computer is connected via ethernet yet cannot connect to internet or be reconised by my computer. Can someone please advise were I may be going wrong.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting a network with a usb/ethernet dsl modem

Have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on the PC that is connected to the modem?
    Have you set the other computer to "Automatically obtain IP address?

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> I am having problems setting my network through my dsl modem. I have the modem connected with usb to my computer with an ip address and dns address set. The other computer is connected via ethernet yet cannot connect to internet or be reconised by my computer. Can someone please advise were I may be going wrong. <<

Are you saying you have one PC connected to the modem through the modem's USB port, and the second one through the modem's Ethernet port? I don't think this will EVER work: only one of the modem's LAN connections can be used at a time. If this is what you are doing, you need to buy a router, connect it to the modem via the modem's Ethernet port, and then plug both PC's into the LAN side of the router.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked your firewalls? Assuming you are running Windows with at least 1 XP machine and have run the Network Setup Wizard on both machines you should be able to see both computers. The firewall logs may show attempts to connect from an IP address around 192.168.0.## - include that IP address in your Network or Trusted zones and you should be OK.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting a network with a usb/ethernet dsl mode

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharing.htm

This looks like a pretty good "how-to" from Internet Connection Sharing. Although, I couldn't say for sure. I've never used it myself.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand your post, you're connecting PC to PC via an ethernet cable. If this is so, ENSURE your cable is a CROSSOVER ethernet cable. A standard patch cable will not work as you want it to, in this case.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The other way to do this is with two regular Ethernet cables (straight-thru) and a small ethernet hub or switch. if you happen to have access to one.

PC -> Ethernet Cable -> Ethernet Hub -> Ehternet Cable-> 2nd PC