2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can't find the database file [path to file] (2000)

Hi, this problem shows up on an XP machine when logged on as one user (who can open other files normally), but not when logged on as another user who can open the file in question normally. When trying to open the file from the Open dialog or via a double click in Windows Explorer,. the message "Micorsoft Access can't find the database file [path to file]. Make sure you entered the correct path and file name". Then they get "The Microsoft jet database engine cannot open the file [path to file]. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view it's data".

Both users belong to the correct workgroup. Fast User Switching is turned off. The file is definitely not opened already. The Default Open Mode option is set to shared, not default.

Can anyone suggest what I could look for?

The following may be relevant: The user of this database had recently attempted to upgrade to Office 2003, the database functioned fine up until that point., but after the upgrade they got some errors from incompatible code (details of which I don't recall) (hence me not wanted them to upgrade to 2003). So I uninstalled O2003, reinstalled 2000, then upgraded Office EXCEPT Access, which remained at version 2000. The database was fine at that point, opening normally. They then attempted to install Office patches from the Office Update site, and I believe that something went wrong in this process - perhaps a failed patch install? Not sure really. I visited them again, thinking that an uninstall of all versions of Office and a reinstall of Office 2000 would result in a fix. It did not fix this problem, perhaps there are some files in %Windows% or some registry settings?

Cheers, Roger

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't find the database file [path to file] (2000)

Does the user who experiences the problem have full permissions (at the Windows leve) to the folder containing the database and to the .mdb file itself? Access requires the user to have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) in the folder.

Has user-level security been applied to the database? If so, make sure that the user opens the database with the correct workgroup information file (.mdw).

Just to make sure, let someone with Access 2000 who doesn't have the problem open the database, activate the Visual Basic Editor, select Debug | Compile <project>, then switch back to Access and compact/repair the database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can't find the database file [path to file] (2

Thanks for your suggestion, Hans. I will need to visit their office to check it out, which unfortunately doesn't happen very often. This seems to make sense, and given that the user with the problem can open other files, it points to issues with that particular file perhaps. I will explore this when I can.

Cheers, Roger