Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: format a table of authorities (2000)

Use a smaller font?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It has to be 14 pt. -- by law...

Other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only thing I can think of is to wait until the document has become final.

- Click in the TOA.
    - Press Crtl+Shift+F9 to replace the field by its result.
    - Select the TOA except its caption.
    - Select Table | Convert | Text to Table.
    - The default setting should be OK, you'll end up with a two column table.
    - Remove the cell borders, make the second column right-aligned and adjust the column widths.

Downside is that the TOA is not updateable any more. If the document changes, you'll have to create a new one and repeat the above steps.

Thanks

I can't remember how I did it (!!), and it probably was in a Table of Contents rather than a Table of Authorities, but I used to wrap the heading/citation at a certain point so that the end of the heading/citation was on the next line (indented by a reasonable amount) and the page numbers fit at the end. Perhaps it was a manual correction (??) but I prefer that style.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By "over to the left," are you saying you want the "30" in your example to be flush with the left margin? If so, you need to edit Word's built-in Table of Authorities style. Looks like it's now set so each para has a small hanging indent. Just change style's paragraph properties so that "Indentation - Special is changed from "hanging" to "none." The second line of each cite will wrap to the left margin.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My mistake - I should have said over to the right. Changing the hanging amount does not fix it - it does some kind of wierd auto word wrap and looks worse.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

format a table of authorities (2000)

How can I fix my Table of Authorities so it formats right for items with a multiple page cites that wrap around? See where the '30' is? It needs to be over to the right with the other numbers. Changing the indent or tabs just messes things up worse. Thx.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All on the same line? Well, then your only solution, as near as I can tell, is to either reduce the font size, or decrease the margins. Frankly (and I normally would be very reluctant to give style advice), I prefer to break the lines after the case name, and put everything else, including the page nums on a new line. See attached sample.

If you mean *farther* to the right, but still on a new line (the line it's in in your screen shot), adujsting the hanging indent thing should do the trick.. At least I think so. Your attachment in the original post seems to be a screen shot or something, not a Word file, so it's hard to tell how it's formatted now.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

I modify the table of authorities style, creating a right indent. This indents the text portion of the table, while the tab creating the . . .page# stays to the right margin. You can modify the style in the insert table authorities dialog or you can just highlight the table when you are done and drag a right indent, making sure to leave the right margin tab in place. I think modifying the style is better. It has been a while since I've done this, but I think with the style modified the change held when the table had to be regenerated.
    Attached Files Attached Files