3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Taken Over (HE-SP2)

Sometime on Friday, my XP system on our home PC was taken over. Using Task Manager, I see that the CPU cycles and the Kernal times all go to 100% and stay there. This prevents other programs from running in any sense of the word. By clicking the process tab, I see that "system" is the culprit, hogging the CPU, but I can't tell more than that.

I have tried using System Restore to back things up by a week, but that had no effect. I tried putting the original Windows CD in the drive and using the Repair Console to fix it, but when I simply hit Enter when asked for a password, the system goes to a DOS prompt (C:Windows) and sits there with no repair activity. I obviously am doing something wrong there.

I can boot into safe mode without problems. When trying to boot normally, the system usually hangs after you select which environment you wish to log onto (it sits there after saying "loading personal.......whatever). If I boot into my environment in "safe" mode, then reboot normally, I can get into my environment, but the hijaak occurs about 30 seconds into the process. Something is getting loaded that causes the CPU to go into a terminal introspection.

Can anyone suggest a process whereby I can try to find the culprit? I can navigate the registry, but can't remember the locations to look for programs loaded during startup.

I appreciate your help. I am hoping not to have to reinstall XP. Anxiously waiting.

Douglas

PS I am sending this via my wife's laptop. I do not have access to email (on busted PC) so I will check back here frequently.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Taken Over (HE-SP2)

With "Friday" as my clue, if your system uses the Trend Micro PC-cillin antivirus software, please <!post=see this thread.,472951>see this thread.<!/post> If that's not the case, do you have anything like AdAware and/or Spybot installed which you could attempt to run while booted into safe mode? Again, if Trend Micro is not your AV, can you check the web for whatever you use to see if they have spotted a "Friday" kind of update problem? Maybe the major AV products all put some new virus they've found into their pattern files and there could be a commonizing link or relationship.

Edited: Don't start with the registry to see what's being loaded. Use the RUN command on the Start Menu to execute MSCONFIG first.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You guys rock. That seems to have taken care of the problem. I will monitor for a while and let you know for sure.

Thanks again, Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, happy Sunday to ya, Douglas! And kudos to Jefferson for his timely post!