Thanks

Automatic Formatting (Outlook XP)

According to the book, I supposed to be able to apply formatting to my Outlook Contacts. I have been able to do so with 1 set of compnay contacts, and distribution groups, but that is all. When I try to do it using a selected catagory of contacts, it doesn't work. Did I read this correctly, or am I just goofed up.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Formatting (Outlook XP)

What and where are trying this formating and What book?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

The book that I am referring to is "Microsoft Outlook Inside and Out" by Jim Boyce. This as I understand it is a Microsoft publication. In chapter 14 "Managing Contacts" page 406 it tells how to assign different fonts to contacts. So for example when you have a lot of contacts, all of those from one company are the same color. I do have a lot of contacts, well over a 2000 and those that I have assigned different colors to by company is proving to be pretty nice. Now when I see a certain color I know that those are from company A. I have Woody's book for Office 2000, but was unable to find it in there.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

I did this once, probably in Outlook 2002, and then something happened and all my automatic formatting settings for that view were blown away. Very depressing if you've spent a lot of time in the Conditions... dialog fine-tuning your criteria and in the font dialog changing font sizes as well as colors... but I digress.

Are you using Define View's Automatic Formatting dialog for your preferred view(s)? This should give you complete access to any criterion you like.

Thanks

Yes, thats what I am using
    Thanks John

Thanks

So if you choose Add and define a new rule, it doesn't take?? Maybe there is something tricky about the criteria that we can help with if you provide more information (without giving away anything private or confidential, of course).

Thanks

that is exactly what is happening, sort of,..I click on view, then "current view", then "customize current view", from there I click on "Automatic Formatting". In there I click on "Add" and add a new rule. In this case I will use "Golf Courses" as the rule. I set my font preference, then I click on "condition" and define the criteria. For example this would be "Contacts" Search for: "Golf" in the "file as field only", in the "Time" I chose "none" and clicked ok. I also chose "created anytime" to see what would happen. Absolutely nothing happened. I went back and looked at the one rule that did take, and everything I did there was recreated in this rule. Only difference is that that rule took and the others haven't
    Thanks John

Thanks

Well, I realize that was just an example, but you need to change the drop down from the "File As" field, which usually is someone's last and first name, to something more relevant to golf courses. If the correct field isn't listed there, try the Advanced tab. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Ok I tried that as well. I have all of my contacts except personal ones listed by company name. Hence the file as field is a company name. The same holds true for the golf courses. They all have the words "Golf Course" in them whether that be xyz National Golf Course, or abc Golf Course. I have also listed the word "Golf" in the Master catagories field so that I can utilie that in my iPAQ as well. All also show Golf in the catagories field as well. I used both to set the scenario and it still isnt working.
    Thanks John

Thanks

I think I've run out of ideas. Does anyone else here use Automatic Formatting with Contacts?

Thanks

Hi,
    Have you tried using fields other than the File As field, which seems to be a bit flaky in this respect? For example, does it work if you use the company field (or name field, depending on how you enter your companies)?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Tried that as well. I even went so far as to do it by individual courses, such as Eastmoreland Golf Course. and still nothing. Im thinking its about time to call Microsoft?
    Thanks John

Thanks

Curious - it works for me using the Name fields or Company field, but doesn't using the File As field. Which view are you using as a matter of interest?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

I am using the Detailed view
    Thanks John