Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ghost Word (97/SR2)

I am running Office on Windows 98 Second Edition installed on my C: drive as one option on a multi-boot system. A different physical drive held an Add-In template that was linked from a shortcut in the OfficeSTARTUP directory. All worked well.
    It became necessary to replace the drive containing the Add-In template, and as part of the process, the drive letter changed. As a consequence of the different drive letter; Word was unable to locate the Add-in template until the shortcut in the STARTUP directory was corrected.
    Now we come to the part which I do not understand. Until the shortcut target was corrected:
    <UL><LI>on starting Windows 98,
    <LI>I would get a message that my Add-in template could not be found.
    <LI>Ths was followed by notification that Winword had performed an illegal operation and was being shut down.[/list] There are no programs or shortcuts in the ProgramsStartup folder
    I would be most appreciative of any clues as to what is going on and why Winword is being launched on startup.
    TIA
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost Word (97/SR2)

If you don't have it yet, download Autoruns from SysInternals (free). It shows everything that is started automatically on your PC.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghost Word (97/SR2)

Hans.
    Thanks to your suggestion, I can see that Omnipage is loading OCR Aware--a likely candidate.
    Regards
    Don