2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to put text inside left margin? (2003)

I have a list where each item begins flush with the left margin (1 inch margins for the entire doc). I now want to add an asterisk to the LEFT of some items on the list, without changing where each item of the list appears. That is, each item should still start at the left margin (1 inch from the edge of the paper), and the asterisk should appear INSIDE the left margin (e.g., 0.8 inches from the left edge of the paper). Anyone have any ideas?

I know how to do this if I want to convert the list to a table, add a column, mess with the table margins, etc. But I'm looking for something that is, well, easier.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to put text inside left margin? (2003)

See screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (16.4 KB, 4 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to work for me, maybe because of the way the text, before I try to add the asterisk, is formatted. It's already got dot leaders, hanging indent, etc. All I want to do is add an asterisk to a few of the entries w/o changing the way the actual text on the line is formatted.. I've attached a sort sample. Sorry, I probably should have done this with my original post.

(To test your suggestion, I took this text, reformatted one of the para's per your screenshot, typed an asterisk at the beginning of the line, and pressed "tab." The problem is the hanging indent in your solution, which overrides the one in the orginal text.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can place a tab at 0" (i.e. at the left margin). Either use Format | Tabs... or create the tab in the ruler, then drag it to the left margin.

Thanks

If the list already exists and the idea is to add asterisks to a number of the entries, you could put the asterisk in a text box in the margin lined up with the paragraph. Once you have done the first one, save it as autotext. You could also add a toolbar button for the autotext. Then with the cursor in the para you want to be asterisked, just click your button.

I attach a modified version of your document, including button. The trouble is the autotext gets saved in the template (in this case my Normal.dot) so you will have to select one of the text boxes, define it as a bit of autotext called * tp save it in your template, and then try the button.

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files