New Lounger
    Thanks

Social Security Fields in Word (Xp)

Is there a field for ###-##-#### in word or is that ONLY in excel? Thanks

Thanks

Re: Social Security Fields in Word (Xp)

Can you give a little more detail about how you would enter this information? For example, if you are putting information into an ordinary table cell, there is no such thing as a "numeric picture" format for just a plain table cell. On the other hand, if you are creating a Word form using form fields from the Forms toolbar, you might have more options. And if you are creating a Userform using the VB Editor, still other options.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have my info in an ordinary table as it is part of a Word document, but if I can create a Word form using the form fields instead, I am interested in knowing how. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi gogetter,

If you insert a formfield and set its properties to 'number', you can set the default number as '0000-00-0000' (without the quote marks), the maximum length as 12 and define a custom number format using '####-##-####' (also without the quote marks). Note that omitting a number, including a leading 0, will give a result in which the trailing portion of the field is truncated - replacing the #s with 0s on the right end of the field format doesn't correct this.

For privacy and other reasons, it's often thought that the full SSN shouldn't be input or output. This may/may not be an issue for you. Often, just the last 4 digits are used.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

if the question was related to securiy, then a textbox could be placed on a userform and the textbox's passwordchar property could be set to, say, # or * and that will hide what the user types.