New Lounger
    Thanks

XP load problems and not win update (Windows XP)

Dear Friends,

I am stumped in trying to fix my husband's new self-built PC (I am writing from my IBM thinkpad). Everything was working fine since the build for about 4 months. A couple of days ago, Window XP wouldn't load, we could boot into safe mode tho. So I did the checking of hardware. I then tried the recovery console and did chkdsk and fixboot. I don't know that much about fixing... so I gave up and tried the repair install. Not sure it was the best thing to do. Now, computer boots, but xp loads really slowly( I mean 1 minute at the blue screen that says windows is starting up) and it was so fast before. There was something wrong with the trend micro internet security loading a Tsc.exe was taking 90 percent of my processor.(so I have temporarily uninstalled that). Cannot ACCESS Windows Update to get SP2 and cannot turn on the Windows firewall. I get a message that says the windows associated service in not running, Do you want to start...I say yes...then it says Windows cannot start firewall ICS service. Also when the desktop loads, SPY BOT gives a message saying that a System Start Global entry has been changed...value deleted...Register Wscript....wscript regserver. Am really kind of in the dark about what to do next or not to do next (grin).

I really don't want to start over with a clean install, just because of all the work. I know how to do some things...but find I am not totally comfortable doing alot without step by step instructions.

If anyone can help it would be GREATLY Appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP load problems and not win update (Windows X

<hr>...something wrong with the trend micro internet security loading... <hr>
    Please <!post=see this thread.,472951>see this thread.<!/post>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for the link. However, I had already created some problems. With the help of trend micro tech support, I was able to get my protection reinstalled cleanly. They were very very nice and gave me an additional year of service for both my computers...since their file caused so many problems for me. I wish they would've have sent an email to users to notify us of the problem...I wouldn't have done the repair install which created my other problems.

After fixing trend-micro still could not get windows update, so was able to get a microsoft tech support person (for free, believe it or not) and she worked with me for two hours trying to fix. She then found out that when you do a repair install that you must uninstall SP2 first. Which I didn't know. So I had damaged my operating system, she couldn't help fix. So had to do a totally clean install. Of course I just purchased a new external hard-drive for Backups, but hadn't backed up yet...so starting from scratch.

Just one more question...I believe I should load all my drivers from the disks first....then install firewall, get my network connection working and them update the drivers and install SP2? Or Should I install SP2 before updating the drivers? I cannot remember the order to do things or does is matter?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just one more thing... which version of SP2 should one use? The Full network install version or the one from windows update site? I have 3 computers on a home network with a router.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try taking a look at the <!post=link provided here,430325>link provided here<!/post> by Tony. If you still have questions, let us know.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

IMO, since you have three system to worry about I'd use the network install. It is much larger but you only have to download it once. If you have a shared folder you can install on each PC from the share. Otherwise, just burn it to a CD and have at it. Just make sure that each machine is backed up before you begin the installation.
    Joe