2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics optimize? (Pub 2000/2003)

Word 2003 has a wonderful function which goes through an entire document and optimizes graphics for the file. Often this reduces a 30MB file to a 2 MB file or less. Does anyone know of such a capability (macro, plug-in, add-in, or separate program) for publisher?

-----Paul------

Thanks

Re: Graphics optimize? (Pub 2000/2003)

There is a "compress pictures" button on the Picture toolbar. This article seems to indicate that this function is only for web pages produced in Publisher, but using the button offers a few more options. This may be what you are looking for.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphics optimize? (Pub 2000/2003)

Oh, that's incredible. Exactly what I needed. Reduced an 11MB .pub to 450K.

Now why did they hide that?

Thank you so much for showing it to me.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm adding a reply to this for 2 reasons, one to say thank you to Rebel for the advice. I agree with pwright2, this is such a great feature, why do they hide it.

2nd reasons, I'm also replying just so that people can see it, the original post is a little bit old, so it kind of brings it up to the top. Great advice. Knocked my newsletter down from 9,700 K to 700 K, sure prints faster.

Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='781123' date='22-Jun-2009 19:32']I'm adding a reply to this for 2 reasons, one to say thank you to Rebel for the advice. I agree with pwright2, this is such a great feature, why do they hide it.

2nd reasons, I'm also replying just so that people can see it, the original post is a little bit old, so it kind of brings it up to the top. Great advice. Knocked my newsletter down from 9,700 K to 700 K, sure prints faster.[/quote]
    Wow! I'd completely forgotten about that post. Glad it worked for you!
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You began the thread with Word 2003, and I might remark that as I understand it Word 2007, with the *.docx extension, is also far more economical in file size as the same content in *.doc format. This, I presume, is independent of graphics. I don't know the percentages when it comes to the rest of the suite, but it might be useful for all if someone could offer us a link to or tell us the figures for an across-the-suite comparison of legitimate (= relatively lossless) file sizes, exclusive of third-party compression.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It also helps ALL programs if these images are resized BEFORE inserting them.
    The use of the Powertoy Image resizer and the likes of VSO image resizer will save one a lot headaches, as ALL programs can not compact these images.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.