Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes from many editors (Word97 SR2 & later probably)

I sent my (original) document to 5 people for comments/revisions. They used Track Changes and sent document back. How do I get all the six documents (including original) into a single document showing the changes from each editor?
    I tried: Open original. Then Tools|Track Changes|CompareDocuments and selected doc1. It said I had Original already has changes and I said "compare anyway". It said " some fields longer than 750 characters" and I said "ok" (I think they are captions & cross-references).
    The new document shows the first editor's comments (in blue).
    I repeated this with doc 2. Got the same dialogs. The new document shows both sets of comments - both in blue.

I had my Track Changes Options set to "by author". I tried setting it to red before comparing the second document but then both comments were red.
    I tried opening doc1 and changing the author from File Properties, so that the original, doc1 and doc2 had 3 authors in Properties. But both comments were red (not blue).
    Is Tools|Track Changes|CompareDocuments the right way to combine the 3 (eventually 6) documents?
    Can I suppress changes to dynamic fields being tracked? I used the ?Shift-F9 key to remove all field codes before sending the original document out. I think the fields are: filename, page number, caption (table & figure), cross-reference, and heading number.
    Is there any issue with me having Word97 and the others having later versions?
    thanks, ruth

Thanks

Re: Track Changes from many editors (Word97 SR2 &

I don't know how Microsoft intended this to work, but it is has always been hard work reconciling that many authors' comments. I'm not sure it is any easier now than it was when we did it by eye and hand 15 years ago.

Anyway, if you float your mouse over the changes that you merged in, the ones that are the same color, do they both show you as the author? If so, Word is substituting your User Information for the information in the source documents. To fake out Word, you could try using Tools>Options...>User Information to change the name to the name of the person whose changes you are merging in.

I wonder, though, whether it might be better to try to assemble the changes "side-by-side", that is, to insert the five corresponding paragraphs in a row as a step in the process of manually reconciling the changes. Otherwise, you end up in the strange situation that, say, an addition by author 3 might show as a deletion by author 4, even though the addition by author 3 wasn't even in the source document supplied by author 4. Maybe there is a more intelligent tool to handle this. Hopefully!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes from many editors (Word97 SR2 & later probably)

I don't know a solution to your current problem, but for the future: if you select File | Send To | Routing Recipient..., you can specify a number of recipients... The document will be routed to the first recipient, who can forward it to the second, etc., and finally the document will be returned to you, with comments and/or changes by all recipients.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes from many editors (Word97 SR2 &

Yes they all show same author. I have now tried about every combination of author in File Properties and in Tools UserInformation. Each time, all the changes from everyone end up the same colour and end up the same author. Sometimes it's the first author, sometimes it's a later one.
    I tried with a couple of short test documents and they seem hopelessly mixed up. so I think I have to try a version of your side-by -side method - maybe with different windows maybe with second monitor.
    When I searched through the archives, everyone seemed to be trying to determine the colours - I didn't think it would be so hard to just get different ones.
    thanks
    ruth

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes from many editors (Word97 SR2 & later probably)

Trouble is I want their individual reactions, not their comments on each other. Also I don't want it all held up by one person being o/s or late or something. Better to have 3 reviews in the hand than 5 in the bush as it were.
    thanks, ruth