2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro for 'Paste Special?' (2003)

When I reply to emails that are in .rtf format, and I cut and paste text from (for example) a Word document, Outlook automatically gives me an option to paste as plain text, so what I paste matches the formatting of the rest of the email. When I try to do that with an html email, I don't get that option. Instead, I have to go to EDIT - PASTE SPECIAL - TEXT. I'd like to create a macro, and assign it to a keyboard shortcut, to do that paste speacial stuff. If Outlook had a macro recorder (like Word), this would be no problem. But it doesn't. Anyone have a code snippet? Or, better, is there some online tutorial re Outlook macros/VBA code?

Thanks

Re: Macro for 'Paste Special?' (2003)

Do you use Outlook's built-in editor to compose these replies? I'm using Outlook's editor in 2003 and, as part of its pattern of strange behavior today, I don't even have the option to use Paste Special (it is grayed out!). Maybe if I can get Outlook back to normal I can work on some code. In the meantime, the initial bad news is that the Outlook object model does not have a PasteSpecial method; any macro probably has to go through the dialog anyway. And Outlook doesn't provide good control of keyboard shortcuts, so you couldn't just pop up the dialog in place of Ctrl+V or Ctrl+Shift+V (you can assign an Alt key combination by assigning it as the "accelerator" for a menu or toolbar button; details in other posts).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Outlook's built-in editor. And now I've got the same problem you do -- Paste Special is greyed out when replying using HTML. I've spent a few days noodling around, and I can't reliably reproduce when I have that option in HTML mode. I always have a Paste Special option in RTF mode, but I don't like to use it because I'm told it's not compatable with many email programs. Grrr. I spend a lot of time cutting and pasting into emails snippets from Word documents and such, and w/o Paste Special/Text, the text from those documents, when pasted into Outlook, retains its Word formatting/font/etc, so my emails become an ugly mixture of font, font sizes, etc.

Right now my solution is this: After cutting text from some other doc, I first paste it into a text editor, to convert it into plain text, and then copy and re-paste into Outlook.

I suppose just editing emials in plain text format would solve the problem, but I need some of the advanced formatting features (lists; block indentation) that only are available using HTML or RTF.

Thanks

I'm beginning to think it might be related to the Service Pack 2 security changes to Internet Explorer affecting Outlook's HTML editor. I will look into that when I get some free time...