New Lounger
    Thanks

Access Query (2003)

I am trying to get a query (or a table field) to be a 6 month average. I have each month as a separate field in a table. How do I create a query or function to average these 6 fields together to get a field that is the 6 month average? I am not partial to where it gets done or how. It is just my previous 1 hour attempts have all failed miserably. Any help would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Query (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

A table design with each monthly value in a separate record (i.e. the monthly values below each other instead of next to each other) would have been a lot easier to handle.

If there is a non-null value for each month in each record, you can calculate the average in a query based on your table: create a column

MyAverage: ([Field1]+[Field2]+[Field3]+[Field4]+[Field5]+[Field6])/6

where MyAverage is the name you want to give the calculated column, and Field1, ..., Field6 are the names of the fields. If there may be null values, you can use a custom function. See <post#=440550>post 440550</post#>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oh man........ This would fall under the category of missing the obvious. Thank you for putting me out of my misery! Works great! I was so concentrated on using the average function that I total missed the easy way of doing it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans noted
    >>A table design with each monthly value in a separate record (i.e. the monthly values below each other instead of next to each other) would have been a lot easier to handle.<<

you could then have used the ave function.