Thread: Pages

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pages

My documents have recently taken a very strange turn. I have numerous documents with section breaks in to have portrait the landscape pages. Each document is reporting 1 more page than there actually is. I cannot see the extra page nor does it print. Yet the status bar and more importantly the Page # of # is incorrect. Where should I start to look to remove the offending bit to get the pages back tothe correct number.

Thanks

Simon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pages

If I understand correctly, your documents contain both portrait and landscape pages, and that you use section breaks to break them apart (which is correct). Are you also putting a section break at the end of the last page/section? That might explain the additional page (although I would expect you to be able to both see and print the additional, blank page). If this is so, delete the final section break.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Thanks

Hi Simon,

You don't mention which version of Word you are using. The following is for Word 2000 (although Word 97,98,2001 should be very similar if not the same).

This indicates to me that you have a section break configured to start the new section on the next odd (even) page. To check on this, switch to Print (page) layout view using your View menu. Try (from the end of your document) stepping through each section. Look at the section break shown on screen. (Doesn't show on screen? Click the pillcrow (P with two vertical lines) on your standard toolbar.) Section breaks show up as horizontal lines. The offending break will say "Section Break (odd page)" or "Section Break (even page)."

Place your insertion point (cursor) in the section that follows the section break and use File => Page Setup => Layout (tab) to change this. In the top left quadrant of the dialog box is a drop-down for Section Start. You want it to say "Next Page" or "New Page" instead of "Odd page" or "Even Page."

For more on sections see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm> Sections, Section Breaks, Headers and Footers</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm).

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thats it - thanks,

Simon

JustCallMeAl

If you are using Word 97, this is a bug. You need the following update from Microsoft:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/9798/wrdac97.aspx>http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/9798/wrdac97.aspx</A>

Even though it states it is the Mail Merge update, it is the one you want.