Lounger
    Thanks

Track changes - dynamic fields (Word97 SR2)

My document has figures, tables and headings; also Table of Contents, Table of Tables & Table of Figures; also cross-references within the text. Also has page numbers, saved-on dates and filenames in the headers.
    Track Changes updates the captions and tables of contents, cross-references etc - multiple times.
    Is there some way of saying Track Changes E xcept Field Codes ?
    (I used Ctrl-Shift-<F9> to unlink them before enabling Track Changes, but then have to manually find and re-enter each field.)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Track changes - dynamic fields (Word97 SR2)

Hi Ruth,

What I usually do is to switch off 'track' changes' before doing anything to update the fields (eg pressing F9, saving or printing the document), then switch it on again afterwards. That avoids the updates to the fields being tracked. If you implement this approach, you won't have to go through the unlink/recreate process.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks

But when I send the document to someone else, they make changes that are tracked. Even if the change isn't to the cross-reference, for instance, saving the document when I re-open there is a "change" to the field. eg "Table 1" is deleted and replaced by "Table 1". I have been playing with Ctrl-<F11> which "locks" fields, and may work. I think I can lock all fields, send it out, collect the changes, and after applying them, unlock the fields again. At least I hope I can.
    thanks, ruth

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Ruth,

Even without locking the fields, you'll find that turning off track-changes, then updating the fields (including by saving the document if you have a SAVEDATE field), will delete the tracking for them. You can then turn the tracking back on.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Woo hoo! Like Ruth, I sent a document to a colleague for review, and upon return, it was cluttered with "field-code track change edits" that made it difficult to distinguish the "real" edits. Following your advice, I simply turned off the Track Changes, Ctrl-A to select the whole document, F9 to update the fields. Bingo -- all the spurious track changes were deleted, leaving just the stuff that he had explicitly edited. Thanks for the tip!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada