New Lounger
    Thanks

HTML mail - no shortcut attachment?

I recently started using HTML mail in Outlook 2000 and noticed that I cannot attach shortcuts to files, like in RTF mail.
    I click on the paperclip on the toolbar, select a file, and the drop-down button 'Insert' does not show an option to Insert as shortcut.
    Similarly, if I create a shotcut file first, and insert that one, it automagically picks up the file it points to.
    Of course I can create a hyperlink, but then I have to make sure it doesn't contain a drive letter, since the recipient may not have the same drive mapping as I have.

Am I missing something? Is this by design? Any help or explanation is appreciated.

Cees

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HTML mail - no shortcut attachment?

by design. it sounds like you are close to knowing why too. html is typically used outside of the LAN and RTF is acceptable (everyone is expected to use the samee client)inside, so shortcuts are not available for html, unless embedded normally (and usually point to a web server).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ's answer makes good sense, but it raises another issue.
    The main point of shortcuts and links is to allow quick clicking-through. Once you receive an HTML message, when forwarding it you are effectively 'stuck' in that mode. What if you receive a forwarded HTML message and you are on the same network and the forwarded link has been converted to text in the format:
    <FOCSFluxEaster opening 2003.doc> (this is a real life example from our network and the path is fully valid)

Is there a way to open this by right-clicking and pressing a button, or some such method?

Thanks

If "F:" has the identical mapping on sender's and recipient's computers, then yes, this has a good chance of working. Otherwise, no.

In a plain text message, such a string would turn into a clickable link. In HTML, I'm not sure. What was your experience?