Star Lounger
    Thanks

help fitting third drive please

Hi all. I currently run Win XP Pro on a Dell desktop. I have two HDs on the first IDE (master and slave), and a CDROM and DVDROM on asecond IDE (again, master and slave). I want to fit a third HD for reasons I won't bore you with.

My question - is it possible, my any means, to add a third HD to this configuration without losing one of the other devices? There are only two IDE slots.

TIA

Richard

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: help fitting third drive please

The easiest method (in my mind) would be to purchase an already made external HD. If however, you already have an internal drive purchased, you could get a kit to make it external.

USB and / or firewire kits are available at many online, and standard retailers.
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks

Richard,
    There are adapter kits available that plug into a PCI slot and will add up to four more IDE devices to your system. The one I have is made by Promise Technology and it works fine for additional drives.
    If you google Promise Technology or just PCI adapters you should see what's available. The adapter cards are not expensive and you can do a little shopping around for a good price.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both of you - I'll have a think about the options - possibly both will suit me. I am always mucking about with HDs between three computers and having something more permanent and also something more flexible sounds ideal.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I was in the same situation as you were and opted to go with an External USB 2.0 drive. Be wary that not all these units are created equal and some work much better than others. Thus do some reviewing of name brand units before you buy. Oh.... and one more item which you should consider also.... Adding another piece of hardware may require that you upgrade your power supply, depending upon what you have currently. With what you now have and then adding yet another HDD, regardless of type may yours may not be big enough to handle the addition. There are a couple of online sites with power supply "calculators" where you check the boxes for all the hardware you have, etc., and it then gives you the minimum size you should have. Looking at what you are considering, I would suggest that a minimum power supply of 350 watts would be needed.

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks