New Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents Title (Word 2000)

Hi.

I've successfully used styles to create a table of contents for a 25 page document I'm writing. Everything was going fine. I had the words "TABLE OF CONTENTS" at the top of the page, then the table itself, and I had all the formatting looking the way I wanted.

Then I was told the standard font should be different - and larger. I changed the underlying styles - I'm using "normal", "header 1", "header 2", "TOC 1" and "TOC 2". The document became several pages longer. So far no problem.

The problem is that now the TOC itself is a page and a half long and I can't get it to play nice with the words "TABLE OF CONTENTS" at the top of the page. The TOC jumps to the following two pages, leaving those three words on their lonesome at the top of an otherwise blank page. I've played around some with the widow/orphan and following line controls in the TOC 1 and TOC 2 styles, but to no avail.

Help?

Ed Lycett
    (Usually an Excel guy)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Contents Title (Word 2000)

Could you do the following:
    - Make a copy of the document.
    - Remove all text from the copy except the text "TABLE OF CONTENTS" and the table of contents itself.
    - Attach the copy (zipped if necessary) to a reply.
    Make sure not to update the TOC after removing the text of the document!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here 'tis.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The TOC 1 and TOC 2 styles are based on the Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles; both are set to "Keep with next". Because both are, Word tries to keep the entire TOC on one page; even though it fails, it pushes the top of the TOC to a new page. You probably want to keep TOC 1 with the first TOC 2 paragraph, so leave that alone. If you modify the TOC 2 style not to "Keep with next", the TOC should flow the way you want.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yup, that fixes it. Thank you for your help!

Ed.