New Lounger
    Thanks

Global Addin Custom Menu (Word 2002)

Is the following working correctly or have I misunderstood what is supposed to happen?

I thought that if I put a custom menu in an addin and I loaded that addin (either automatically in Startup or manually though Tools) that the custom menu would appear. It doesn't. The only way I can get my custom menu to appear is to save it in Normal.dot or to Open a document using the addin template. BTW, I did have PDFWriter loaded, but I took it out of Startup and leave it unloaded. But I still don't get my custom menu. Maybe I am expecting something that isn't supposed to happen? Thanks for any insight.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Global Addin Custom Menu (Word 2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Customizations to toolbars and menus stored in a global template should be displayed automatically. I just tested to make sure.

Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post> to see if you can find the culprit.

Thanks

Can you run procedures in the global add-in? If so, the menus also should appear. If not, there might be an issue with the security settings (i.e., the "Trust installed add-ins..." checkbox is not checked under Tools>Macro>Security, Trusted Sources tab).

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I create a new doc based on MyTemplate, the custom menus appear (and work). But you are saying that if I just open Word (with normal.dot) and go to Tools/Addins and check the box next to MyTemplate (under Checked Items Are Currently Loaded), then as soon as I close that window, the custom menu from MyTemplate should appear? It doesn't. (The security settings were ok.)

I will try the Rabichow Systematic Approach (although most of it seems to try to locate problems by unloading global addins and my problem is I want to load a global addin).

Thanks for your responses so far.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The idea of a global template/add-in is that it works from the moment you start Word. It does for me - we have a global template here at work that adds a custom menu and a custom toolbar, and they are available whenever I start Word. I also tested at home with a small add-in created especially for this question.

When trying Phil Rabichow's troubleshooting steps, you should NOT turn off your MyTemplate add-in, of course.