Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Normal Template Problem (2003)

I recently ran an OCR program and had it transfer the data to MS Word. It opened a Word document that had a 20+ inch wide format. Now every time I open Word I get this wide format. I tried deleting my Normal template and re-opening Word -- no change! I tried deleting Normal.dot and then replacing it with my backup copy. I still get the wide format when opening Word. Word must be getting its Normal.dot template from some unknown location. I searched for Normal.dot and only find it in one place -- my templates folder.

Any suggestions as to how to get back to my default Normal.dot?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal Template Problem (2003)

Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Thanks

A new blank document is 20" wide, or your Word window is 20" wide? (Wow, big monitor!) If you open Normal.dot directly, you should be able to make Page Setup changes that take care of the first problem. Unless you're in an environment where your Normal.dot is controlled centrally. For the second problem, some combination of resizing, checking the Zoom percentage, and just generally appeasing the Windows spirits might be required.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Boy do I feel stupid! As it turns out, the document I had opened left Word in the Web Layout view. Once I returned to the Print Layout view everything went back to normal. However, I still don't know how to change the Web Layout page width. Print Layout indicates a regular Letter size sheet, but the horizontal ruler in the web layout view is some 20" wide. It probably doesn't matter, as I never use the web layout view, but I remain curious.

Thanks

Well, there's a possibility I hadn't thought of! I think there is no real width limit to Web Layout view. It should behave like a page in a browser and fill the full width of the window, unless a specific width has been assigned (for example, by placing the text inside a table).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You're right. There seems to be no width limit in Web Layout view. The ruler just stretches depending on the zoom factor.