Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Enterprise real-time editing (Word (all))

TWICE this past week I've witnessed those really cool people who keep their eyes on the speaker and type at 1,000,000 wpm or so it seems. Once the lady was in the audience, a small folding keyboard attached to the Palm-Pilot. Cool. Once was at a rowdy circus-like town-hall meeting ("Kill the Airport Rail Link!"), and the typist sat on stage, facing the audience, with her work monitored on a jumbo screen behind her. Cool under pressure isn't even CLOSE, and I do mean Rowdy. I got a T-shirt and a button.

So I got to thinking: How would one implement a public-hall meeting in a way that the primary typist could forge ahead at her absolutely stunning speed, and yet permit speakers to update the document, once they left the microphone, with the correct spelling of their name, and so on.

In MS-Office my first thought would be to store each paragraph as a record in an Access database (let's assume no more than six terminals beside the typists terminal). Each terminal would then have a Word document which polled the Access database and continually refreshed the screen with the latest text from each record. The recordset.Count would be equal to the number of paragraphs in the Word document.

My second thought was for an All-Word solution, where each paragraph was stored as a separate document, and was brought into the main document as an {IncludeText}. The typists document would have some software device that collected each new paragraph and stored it in a document file and replaced it with an {IncludeText}. The slave terminals (6) might have a single {IncludeText} which pointed to the typist

Thanks

Re: Enterprise real-time editing (Word (all))

Contact a local firm of "court reporters," stenographers who use real-time transcription software to convert their strange phonetic keyboard input into "draft" transcripts. Users connected to the system can view and scroll back in real time, but not edit, as far as I know, because the records are "official." Afterwards, the reporter fixes up the machine transcription and corrects spellings from business cards or other records and delivers the transcript, typically as a paginated and line-numbered text file. I imagine that a plain text dump is a possibility, and that could be massaged into other formats.