2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Handwritten input (office 2003 Pro - WinXP Pro)

I don't suppose someone has developed an application to ink directly into cells where the ink is recognized upon leaving the cell?

Thanks

Re: Handwritten input (office 2003 Pro - WinXP Pro)

I have been pondering your question for a while, and still do not understand it.

Could you elaborate what you want excel to be able to do?

What do you mean by "ink directly into cells"?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your interest, Steve. What I was hoping for was a program or a plug-in that would allow hand written input directly into the cells rather than using the tablet PC input panel. Excel for the Pocket PC currently allows this -- in fact, that is the preferred way to enter information into the cells unless you wanted to use the Pocket PC keyboard which is a waste of time.

I have been searching the Internet and have not come across any programs that offer this functionality.

Thanks

I still don't understand.

What are using as an input device? Doesn't this device have software to place the info into the cells?

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess you're not familiar with the tablet PC and Windows for the tablet PC 2005 enhancements. The answer to your question is no, Excel is not "ink friendly", although Microsoft has written some enhancements for Excel that allows the user to write on (ink) a spreadsheet but not directly into the cells. The writing appears as a picture but one of the other enhancements offered by Microsoft is to then copy the "picture" as text which then can be pasted into the cell.

As I mentioned, the Pocket PC version of Excel allows the user to use pen input directly in the cell without using an external application. In the case of the tablet PC the external application is called the tablet input panel. The user would write on this input panel (or punch out letters on its screen keyboard) and that input would be inserted into the cell. It would be much more convenient if Excel would allow input directly into the cell as Excel for the Pocket PC does.

Thanks

It seems from your description that you want a feature that is not currently available in excel.

It would seem that you need to find and use a program (other than excel) which supports this to do you spreadsheeting work or you need to wait for a future version of excel which contains this ability.

You might want to check out How to Contact the Microsoft Wish Program to let microsoft know of your wishes so that they may consider it in future versions. (Thanks go to <!profile=HansV>HansV<!/profile> for pointing out this site to me).

I am sorry I couldn't be of any more help...

Steve