Lounger
    Thanks

envelope printing--Word97SR2 (Word97/SR2)

We just reinstalled WinXP and, of course, all of our programs. The good news is that it went very smoothly. I don't think I had forgotten to backup anything--even remembered to backup Word's template.

But, my problem is with printing envelopes in Word. I know there is something really obvious that I need to tweak, but I cannot remember what it is.

To print envelopes, my printer (HP PSC 500) needs the envelope face down and to be in the paper tray to the right side. I thought that was the simple tweak I needed to make to the feeding option in envelopes so that it would print right--NO. My #10 and small envelopes print just fine from Word's envelope command and from the saved envelopes in those sizes. BUT, my 8.5" wide x 5.5" long envelope insists on printing as if in the center of an 8.5" wide sheet of paper instead of on a 5.5" wide sheet (envelope). I have it set to landscape. I have tried selecting the paper source as "envelope, manual feed" and as well as "default tray" (after tweaking the envelope printing's feed from option to "envelope, manual feed").

I tried adjusting my #10 and small envelopes to the 8.5"x5.5" size to no avail. That worked up to the US Index Card 5"x8" set to landscape (therefore 8"x 5") but not for the 8.5"x5.5". This worked up until now.

I am attaching the saved documents I use for these envelopes.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: envelope printing--Word97SR2 (Word97/SR2)

Different versions of Windows do tend to have different printer drivers. It may be that there is a problem with the maximum paper size or minimum margin information in the printer driver. If it is the margins, usually Word gives you an error dialog, and suggests that it can "fix" your margins, so if you haven't seen that, then margins probably are not the issue. You might check with the printer manufacturer's web site for an updated driver or other support information.

Lounger
    Thanks

I was printing that envelope just fine before we re-installed the OS. It is the same OS and same Word and same printer. I remember having to tweak something, I thought it was in the envelope printing options but nothing will work. I guess I'll have to change my setup for that one envelope and have to remember to feed it differently.

Thanks

I don't have Word 97 handy, but in Word 2002 you set the envelope orientation for dialog-based printing (rather than in-the-document printing) using:

Tools>Letters and Mailings>Envelopes and Labels, Envelopes tab, Options... button, Printing Options tab

If you already did that, or Word 97 does not have the equivalent, then I'm out of ideas.