Thread: Window Focus

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Window Focus

Hi all,

I have a theory question today:
    1) How does Microsoft Windows decide which window gets the focus when a window is closed?
    2) How do other windowing systems decide which window gets the focus when a window is closed?

(Please advise, can I also post this question on the Linux board, or is cross-posting frowned on here? I can't find any mention in the FAQ or help...)

Thanks,
    Saturn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Window Focus

1) Roughly speaking, when you close a window, the window that had the focus before the window you just closed regains the focus. There are exceptions: an application may decide to push another window to the front. For example:
    - Start Word.
    - From Word, start the Visual Basic Editor (VBE)
    - Start Excel.
    - Use Alt+Tab to switch to Word's VBE.
    - Close the VBE.
    - Instead of Excel (the window that had the focus before), Word now gets the focus.

2) No idea, but I guess it would be similar.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Are you saying that when I am in Window A, and I open Window B, when I close Window B, Window A gets the focus, unless Window B is a child of Window B', in which case Window B' gets the focus?

Is it really that simple?

-Saturn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think the "unless" part is valid only if the application behind Window B' actively grabs the focus. There are also situations in which focus returns to Window A, even if Window B belonged to an application whose main window is behind Window A.
    So most of the time, it is a simple "last-in, first-out" stack, like the stack of plates or trays in a self-service restaurant.