5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Underline spaces??

I know this is easy - I want to put blank lines in a form so someone can type on them. Does someone know how to do this?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Underline spaces??

Whenever I build a form, I find that tables provide me with the best control. They have the added advantage of easily enabling electronic form completion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I know but I am looking at a form that uses underlines and it seems like blank spaces are underlined and I can't seem to replicate this. I can turn underline on and it will underline characters but not blanks. There must be some option that underlines spaces.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is done by building a protected form (which as Jezsik said, is often best based on a table layout) - which is really easy to do.

To get started on building a protected form, go to View>Toolbars, and make the Forms toolbar visible - this makes available the different form elements (such as text form fields) that you can insert in your form. The last piece of the puzzle is to protect the form.

There's copious information on building a form available in Word Help - just look for the topic "Create a Form".

Gary

Thanks

Hi Linda,

You can set tab stops where you want your line to end and underline the tab character. This is a quick-and-dirty way to accomplish what you want.

Hard spaces will allow underlining. Ctrl-Shift-Spacebar. I don't recommend using a bunch of spaces, though, tabs give you much more control.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - ctrl shift spacebar is what I needed to know. I thought it was something simple. Thanks a bunch.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Linda,

I saw your 2 posts and am a little confused by what you're looking to do. In general, I'd agree with Jezsik about using a table for a form (using only a bottom border for the cell) to allow people to type on top of the line.

However, here are 3 more things that might be considered (sounds like you're looking at something that someone else did and trying to figure out what it was):
    1. the para could have a border applied to it. This is NOT the same as a table. To do this, select the para (even if blank), click on Format | Borders and Shading and the Borders tab. This allows one to add a border the width of the line indents and type on top of it. Spaces are underlined (actually the whole line is underlined before you even type so it doesn't matter what you type). This is a quick way of getting a line to type on (possibly better than the hard spaces).

2. Charles' idea about using tabs and underlining them to create an "underlined space" seems quick and dirty, as he said. Something slightly quicker but just as dirty is to when you're setting your tab stops for the spaces, to use underline leaders. In the Format | Tab dialog, you can set your stops. Note there is a part of the dialog for leaders and a choice for a solid underline. A leader is what's inserted after the last char before the tab to before the first char after the tab to take up the space. But you can't type on top of the leader so not sure if this is what you want.

3. It is possible to define underlining such that only words are underlined. This can be done by Format | Font. There is a section of the dialog for underlining and one of the choices on the drop down is for Words Only (but this is NOT the default-continuous underlining is). It is possible to have defined a font/para style with this type of underlining and you'd get what you're seeing. Note I put this last since I think it most unlikely that anyone would do this. But something to look into if all else fails.

Hope something helps.

Fred