3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wrong Message Size? (OL 2003)

I normally store large attachments in their respective project files, and then delete the attachment from the message, and save the message (without attachment). However the reported size of the message remains the same as before, even after compacting. How is this possible?

Sorry, I now see that this problem only occurs with certain message received. It may depend on the mailing software of the sender.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wrong Message Size? (OL 2003)

You will find that certain classes of messages saved to disk, then reopened with Outlook and their attachments saved and removed, do not change in file size on disk.

However, if you first save and remove the attachments and re-save the message in an Outlook Folder before you save it to disk, Outlook will compress it, and the compressed version can be saved to disk. (Somewhere I have some tests with the specifics on this - if I can find them, I'll expand on this post, check back in a couple of days.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wrong Message Size? (OL 2003)

John,

Thanks for the info. Don't spend any time on this please. It is not important, I just wondered if there was a quick answer.

Regards,
    Teun