ljmcb

Trouble Between Formatting & Shared Documents

We have shared files many times between several of us in the office and this has never happened before. In our shared directory, I formatted a file using styles and a template. One of my co workers opened the file after I was done and made some changes. When he opened it, none of the formatting was there. He made the changes without the formatting and saved the file to the shared directory. Upon my opening it, not only was the formatting not there, but I am now unable to reassign formatting to it. I have tried taking it paragraph by paragraph, picking it up paragraph by paragraph (without paragraph marks) and pasting to a new file (which works to a certain extent; I can then apply styles, but the entire file changes to the same style -- can't use different styles on different parts), and even went so far as copying file and renaming (which sometimes helps leave formatting behind).

Please help. One other thing. The backup file shows the file has 85kb and the current file (w/o formatting) has 504kb. When I compare documents it says there is a field of more than 750 char which will not be compared, but I can't see with Field Codes turned on.

Thanks!

Jo

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trouble Between Formatting & Shared Documents

Sounds mighty weird. Anyway, you may try saving the messed-up original as text-only, then opening in Notepad or Wordpad, selecting everything, and pasting into a new Word document. Then you should be able to apply styles and/or formatting. This does not address the root cause, but I suspect it will be slightly easier than what you have described so far (you won't have to copy and paste piece-meal).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Seconding Jim BTB, that does sound weird. One thing to check is whether you have the styles set to Automatically update (in Format>Style>Modify) - that setting is a real killer if left on.

Also, does the document have a table of contents? - if so, that would account for the message about a field of more than 750 characters.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Jo,

This sounds like a classic corrupted file problem. Can't explain it, but here's a sequence to try that has saved the bacon at our company a number of times. I learned it from an MS Word help line person regarding Word 97, but it has also solved problems with Word 2000.

1. Open the document
    2. Select All (Cntrl-A, triple click left margin, Edit menu)
    3. Hold down shift key and hit the left arrow key once (deselects last paragraph mark in document)
    4. Copy (the whole selected works)
    5. Open a new document
    6. Paste
    7. Save As RTF format (the new document, that is)

Now if you open the RTF file, there's a good chance the file will be fixed and behave normally. No guarantees, of course, but it's a pretty quick thing to try. Doing just some of the steps may work, too, but if you're going to do it, the extra few seconds saved is not a big deal.

You will want to check the file carefully for lost content, too, especially inserted objects.

--Flip

ljmcb

Thank you all. First I checked to make sure all styles weren't set to auto update (I know this one, so usually make sure not to do this). Then I did as Flip suggested and moved entire file less the end paragraph mark to a new file. As before, this worked to the point I could then change the style, but it changed the style on the entire file.

Then I tried something else. In the new file, I replaced the Paragraph mark at the end of the first paragraph with a new one. It then let me change the second paragraph to a new style. Then I tried doing global search and replace of end paragraphs to a nonsense string (zzp)-- then thinking I'd do the next one to insert new paragraph marks. It didn't find any other paragraph marks except for the one I'd just changed. And I can't do a copy of the corrupted paragraph mark into the global search and replace either.

Very strange. Anyway, thanks for your help with this one! You guys are great!