3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Run out of Floor Ports

Hi All

I have a computer connected to a network via a single RJ45 floor port which is wired to a 4 port hub in another (but adjacent) building (I don't own the hub or the network).

Now that there is a second computer here at this site I want to connect it to the network (there are 4 computers connect already (including mine) to the remote hub).

As the cost of a new cable and installation of a new port is out of the equation at the moment could I use an old Compex 4 port hub (I do own it) to connect to my floor port and then connect the two computers to the RJ45 ports that it has.

There is a switch on the side of the Compex hub (MicroHub/8 TP1008C) marked "Uplink Normal", am I right to assume that I would have to change it's position from Normal to Uplink to achieve the desired connection to the other hub? A web search did not reveal any details about the Compex hub or how to connect it in these circumstances (other than it is discontinued and still shows up on lotsa Russian sites (?)

If I am on the wrong track, what are the least cost alternatives please?

Thanks

Re: Run out of Floor Ports

I think you are on the right track.
    The ports on the hub are normally expecting a connection from a pc. Connect your two local pc's as normal, then connect one port switched to 'uplink' to your floor port and on to the remote hub. (I think you should find only one port becomes switched to uplink mode - on a couple of old Netgear hubs I have it is the far right one, nearest the switch.)

If the 'uplink' switch doesn't work, you could try using a cross-over patch cable - otherwise used for connecting two pc's together without a hub - from local hub to floor port.

Failing that, you can get splitters that allow two pc's to use one cable. Only four of the eight cores are normally used - this makes use of the unused ones. (You would need two splitters, one at each end of the connection between the buildings.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif

I did a further web search on "uplink" and "ethernet" and "hub" and came across the sort of information you mention.

Regrettably, I will not be able to test this until next Monday as the office is now closed but will report on my success (or otherwise) then.

Again, many thanks...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Note of Action

Unable to try the options suggested but won't get a chance for about 2 weeks now. I'll kepp the Lounge posted on the outcome.