Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Dbs slowed 20 times (2002, 2000)

Suddenly 2 of my Access Dbs have slowed down by a factor of about 20. If I put the Dbs on other computers they run at normal speed. The slow computer has the fastest specs and has always been the fastest; it runs Office 2002; the other computers run Office 2000.
    Would anyone out there have any experience fixing this sort of problem? I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office, but that made no diff. Around the same time, I did install a couple of programs specific to my insurance industry, but I installed them on the other computers also.
    Other Access Dbs run at normal speed on the slow computer. The Dbs that are effected use 2 libraries, but the same libraries are on the other 2 computers.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dbs slowed 20 times (2002, 2000)

Have you used Task Manager on the slow machine to see what is running? Are other things slow on this machine, or just the databases?
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

A couple of guesses,
    1. Try decompiling then recompiling,
    2. Have you got AutoCorrect turned off.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I decompile failrly regularly. It hasn't made any diference.
    I tried turning off auto correct; no difference either. Boy this is frustrating.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried task manager, nothing else running that isn't running on the other computers and that wasn't running before the slowdown. Nothing else is slow on the machine.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you dealing with a split database where the back-end is on a server and the front-end is on the workstation? It's possible that you have LAN problems on the suddenly SLOW workstation that are making things crawl. Another remote possibility is that something is causing things to be swapped out to the hard drive because of memory usage - you can also check that with task manager.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It IS a split Db set up. But the back end is on the (now) slow computer. The back end is replicated, as a laptop is used and needs to operate away from the LAN. But this has worked flawlessly for, i guess, 7 years. There is 1.5 gig of memory on this slow computer and I have never seen it 100% utilised. Wierd eh?
    Regards,
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Has any new anti virus software been introduced into the enviorment?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No new anti virus. But I have installed MS AntiSpyware (running in background), and also Spy Sweeper (not running, but used regularly). But I can't recall when I installed them. Both of these are on the other computers too.
    Regards,
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have seen faulty NIC's or hubs that are starting to go bad give these symptons

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! This sounds interesting. I'm not sure what NIC's are. But could it be the hub if there is no network traffic for the 2 front end Dbs on the slow computer?
    The slowdown only happens with 2 Dbs, nothing else, and that is only on the one computer. That computer also hosts the front end and back end, so no network traffic is used.
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A NIC is a Network Interface Card, in other words, your network card. A "chattering" NIC can flood parts of a network with noise and affect its overall performance. Do I understand that you are using a computer to host the front and back ends and also to act as a workstation? If anyone else is connecting to the application, you have network traffic.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are 3 computers. 2 workstations, 1 laptop, no server. All 3 host the front ends. The main workstation (the slow one) also hosts the back end. The laptop uses a replicated copy of the back end, so it can operate off site.
    There is no difference to the slow computer even if the other 2 are turned off. So unlikely to be a network problem. This setup has been working faithfully for about 7 years.
    I was hoping that someone else had experienced a similar problem and might have a magic bullet. If you bunch of geniuses can
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Before you resort to such drastic steps, especially since the back-end is on this PC, may I suggest you try copying the front-end from one of the other PCs to this one and see if that solves the problem. It is possible that there is some corruption or other factor affecting that copy of the front-end.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks old son. that was one of the very first things I did, I copied them both ways and tried each on the other computers. Unfortunately, it made no difference.
    However I have bitten the bullet. I have just about finished restoring the computer to last January's image and updating that from backups. The Dbs are now purring along, as fast as ever. A very frustrating episode.
    Lesson learnt: make images more regularly. With DVD & duel layer DVDs it is now so easy & quick. Absolutely no excuse not to be fully recently imaged at all times.
    I greatly appreciate the input of all you Woody's gurus.
    Regards,
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast