5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autoplay not working (XP Home)

I am trying to help some friends with their camera software on Windows XP although I am a Windows2K man. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fiji Finepix viewer for them. They have a FJ cameara cradle attached to a USB port - the USB driver was uninstalled and reinstalled as well.
    The FJ instructions say that, when the camera is inserted in the cradle and switched on, the FJ Finepix Viewer should start automatically.
    I have set properties for the removable device (ie the cradle) so that on the Autoplay tab, the medium selected is pictures and the option is to use the FJ viewer. However, it steadfastly refuses to auto start. They can navigate to the image transfer dialogue by manually clicking on the desktop icon, so they do have a method they can use, but can anyone suggest why it will not autostart like it is supposed to, please?
    TIA
    Silverback

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Autoplay not working (XP Home)

See the AutoPlay entries at A Page - Windows XP from A to Z on Kelly Theriot's terrific Windows XP site.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Microsoft do an autoplay repair wizard which you can download here. I have used this successfully to sort out autoplay not working properly on a CD drive, though whether it would work for your situation I don't know.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you and Ian for your help. Sorry for the late reply, but I have been on holiday.
    Well, tried everything you both suggested but with mixed results. Everything seemed to check out OK but the application still steadfastly refuses to start everytime.
    I tried Ian's autoplay repair wizard; this checked everything out OK but when I said the problem was still extant, it replied unable to fix problem!

I also tried resetting the PC to a previous date's system restore, and this improved things a little (it was this which produced the 'improvement' whereby it starts sometimes but not every tiem) but it didn't fix the problem completely.

The application sometimes starts(!) when the camera is put into the cradle and switched on - sometimes it doesn't. I am now 250 miles from the PC so I'm not really in a position to try anything else. I left detailed instructions on how to upload photos without using the Fuji application and also how to invoke it directly if they need anything else that it provides. They have successfully uploaded photos to a target folder on their PC now, so I guess that'll have to do.
    It's very unsatisfactory that it doesn't start automatically, but they do have a work round. Thanks to you both for your suggestions.
    Silverback
    Silverback