2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

open program (2003)

Can another program be opened from within Word. In particular I would like to open Microsoft office Document scanning

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: open program (2003)

You could put a hyperlink to another application in a document, or you could create a custom toolbar button that runs a macro that starts another application.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to create an appropriate hyperlink. It appears that this must stay in the document. I would prefer that it be linked to the toolbar but I can't figure out the correct macro. If you could be more specific about the language of the macro it would be very helpful. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Should the toolbar button be available in one specific document or in every document?
    And is this for ypur personal use, or do you want to make it available to other users?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like it to be available in all documents as a standard toolbar selection.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You haven't said whether it's for your personal use, I will assume that.
    <UL><LI>Select Tools | Macro | Security...
    <LI>Set the Security Level to Medium.
    <LI>Activate the Trusted Sources tab.
    <LI>Tick 'Trust all installed add-ins and templates'.
    <LI>Click OK.
    <LI>Select Tools | Macro | Macros...
    <LI>Enter OpenDocScanning in the Macro Name box (or another name, if you like, without spaces).
    <LI>Make sure that 'Macros In' reads either 'All active templates and documents' or 'Normal.dot'.
    <LI>Click Create.
    <LI>The Visual Basic Editor will open, with the "skeleton" of your macro already created.
    Press the Tab key once, then type

Shell "C:...", vbMaximizedFocus

Type the complete path to the MS Document Scanning application between the quotes instead of C:....
    <LI>Quit the Visual Basic Editor.
    <LI>Back in Word, select Tools | Customize...
    <LI>If necessary, activate the Commands tab.
    <LI>Select Macros in the list of Categories on the left hand side.
    <LI>Select your macro in the list of macros on the right hand side.
    (It will look like Normal.NewMacros.OpenDocScanning or something similar)
    <LI>Drag this item from the Customize dialog to a convenient location on a toolbar and drop it there.
    <LI>Close the Customize dialog.[/list]A lot of steps, but it takes longer to write them here than to perform them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by fburg on 07-May-05 08:24. You can do step #2 in the other office programs. Don't have to repeat step #1.)</P>There was a thread on this long ago. I contributed something like the following, which may be of interest.

1. Put a shortcut to the program(s) into your Favorites Folder. A few things to keep in mind:
    - With Win XP, you have to use the right Favorites Folder under the current login. May not be a problem.
    - To keep things simple, you may want to create a subfolder under Favorites called something like "Programs" where all your program shortcuts go. If not, then all your programs are mixed in with your "real" Favorites
    - the shortcuts can be to documents - eg, instructions.txt - as well as to programs.
    - to get a shortcut to a program, easiest way is to drag (with CTRL held down) from the Start Menu where the program is on the Programs menu into the Favorites folder (open in Win Ex).
    - this step has nothing to do with Word

2. In Word:
    - go into Customize (eg, right click an empty spot on a Toolbar and choose Customize at the bottom)
    - in the Customize dialog, choose the Commands tab
    - in the Categories list on the left, choose Web
    - in the Commands list on the right (once Web is chosen on the left), choose Favorites and drag that from the dialog onto your toolbar (anywhere you want as long as its within the range of a toolbar - you'll see a heavy vertical black line ("eye-beam") if you're within the range)
    - close the Customize dialog

You know have a button on your toolbar available for all documents. There are 2 disadvantages to this approach:
    - depending on whether you created the separate subfolder per above, you have to navigate down to this; the alternative of looking for the program among a bunch of "real" favorites is less appealing to me
    - when opening a program per the above, you will get a warning about how some files may contain viruses. Even with the Trusted Sources box checked, per Hans' suggestion, the warning came up. Actually I was getting 2 warning msgs for SOME of the items in my Programs subfolder when I first did this but now I'm only getting one per "open attempt."

As alternative to the 4th item in #2 above, you can drag the "Open Favorites" item from the Web category. This will give you an "Open" dialog box (similar to Word's Open document or Save As dialog). From there, you just to navigate to the shortcut for your program.

HTH

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using VBE with the shell command worked perfectly. I created a toolbar button and saved it in normal.dot. Flawless. Many thanks
    nebbia