New Lounger
    Thanks

Use margins for Pictures (2002)

My boss wants to format the pages of our documents with wide right-hand margins and then put figures or pictures in the margins. Are there any reasons we shouldn't do this? Are there better ways of creating a column for text and a column for pictures? Thanks for info.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use margins for Pictures (2002)

The best approach for this action is to create a two column table on the page, and format the right column of the table to be wide.
    Newspaper Columns is more difficult to maintain and text is not easy to keep parallel.
    Regards,
    Rudi

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had thought of that but we would rather not have the whole document (we produce dozens of lengthy technical procedures) contained in a table. My boss thinks the pix in the margins idea is a good one and I guess I was really looking for some feedback on that. Thanks for replying.

Thanks

I don't see any problem with having a wide margin. It does seem common in some types of publications. When you insert pictures that float out in the margin, they sometimes get pushed around as text is edited, so you should expect that clean up of the text will require some repositioning of figures to keep things lined up nicely. There is a checkbox somewhere to "mirror" the margins so that if you are printing for a booklet, the wide margins can be always on the inside of the page, or always on the outside (hard to describe, but once you see it, you'll know what I mean).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was thinking about regarding using the margins for floating pictures.

3 more questions then.

1. If pictures float in the margin can we use the automatic numbering in captions? We tried, but couldn't seem to get it to work.

2. Re: Mirrored margins. We wanted to put a line between the margin and the edge of the text. With mirrored margins that meant that the line should sometimes be at the beginning of the line of text and sometimes at the end. We were trying to do this with page borders, which meant we could only designate a right or left border (which meant the line didn't move with the mirrored margins). We couldn't figure out how to put just one line (it worked if we bordered both sides of the text--but that was a compromise).

3. Can headers extend beyond the page margin? I couldn't seem to get them to (so that my running heads would be closer to the edge of the page than the text was).

Thanks.

Thanks

<hr>1. If pictures float in the margin can we use the automatic numbering in captions? We tried, but couldn't seem to get it to work. <hr>
    Can you put the pictures in a frame? They are then part of the text layer, not the graphics layer, and maybe the automatic numbering will then work.
    <hr>3. Can headers extend beyond the page margin? I couldn't seem to get them to (so that my running heads would be closer to the edge of the page than the text was).
    <hr>
    Yes - just set the left (or right) indent on the paragraph that is the header (preferably set in the header style, not as direct formatting) to a negative amount, e.g. -1.5 cm if you want it to go 1.5 cm into the margin.

Ian

Thanks

I've had a go at this and what I said seems to work. See the attached sample which has pictures in the margin, but only those in frames are in the table of figures. Also a header extending into the margin. What I did was create a text box and drag it to a suitable size to insert the picture, then inserted the picture, then converted the first two text boxes to a frame (using the button on the text box tab in the format text box dialog.) The I added captions. I then inserted the table of figures below. The figures in frames show up in it, but the third one where I left the text box as a text box without making it a frame, does not. Also the header above has a negative indent of three cm.

Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I don't actually do any of these kinds of documents, so I can only make suggestions based on what I might do in your situation. On #2, try defining the vertical line as part of your odd and even page headers.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use Margins-thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I would not have thought about using frames. And the negative indent idea would not have come to me soon, but that's the ticket. if I define right and left headers, the outdent should work. Thanks again for your helpful ideas.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's an interesting idea. I will give it a try. Thanks