4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checking for files on Networked PCs (XP Pro)

Hi, I'm not quite sure that thi is on the correct forum, but here goes.

I want to know if there is a quick and reliable way of checking each PC on a network to see if it has a specific sceensaver installed. Say OLD.scr for instance. If it has I want to delete it.

I have access to the .bat files that run when users log on, so coul put the removal part in there I think, but was wondering if there is a way of 'scannin' each PC on the network for OLD.scr.

I know I can connect individually to each PC via REGEDIT and there would probably be a way of telling. Perhaps writing a script to iterate through PC Names using this - I don't know.

Any good tools for this type of thing out there that anyone knows of?

Maybe I would best request the Domain Admin to use a group policy but am not sure this would work.? Any ideas?
    Thanks,

pmatz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking for files on Networked PCs (XP Pro)

It is pretty easy to use group policy to specify a particular screen saver (see this MSDN article), but I'm not sure it can do the specific job you asked for here.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Yes, thanks. I may just have to do that - but ideally i want to remove all traces of OLD.scr

looks like a visit to each pc [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks,

pmatz

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To delete screen saver file, logon to each computer and run the following command:

IF EXIST %WINDIR%SYSTEM32OLD.SCR DEL %WINDIR%SYSTEM32OLD.SCR

Sometimes screen saver files are located not in System32, but in Windows (or Winnt) folder. In that case you must modify the command.

If a screen saver is active (i.e. set to run after certain period of inactivity), there is Registry setting in corresponding user profile:

HKEY_USERS < User Profile, for example, S-1-5-25 > Control PanelDesktopSCRNSAVE.EXE

Modify the value of this key from Old.scr to nothing (empty space) or another screen saver of your choice. If there are more than one user profile, check each of them for screen saver settings.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey kaplinb, thanks!

I have used that DOS with a batch command to check for the screensaver's in question ( in both places - they normally are in Windows here) and delete them. works a charm. On the end of it I put a rundll DOS command to install the new one.

A site email with a link to the file will be my method of deployment, seems to work just fine [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers
    Thanks,

pmatz