Star Lounger
    Thanks

Powerpoint not Released from Memory (2002/SP1)

Hi,

I am sure this has been covered a million times but I haven't found a precise answer searching here and elsewhere.

When I exit Powerpoint, I notice that my computer remains really sluggish. The reason is easy to guess. When I inspect the task manager I see that Powerpoint is still in memory and eating up a really good chunk of memory (often > 90 Mb!). The solution is equally easy (I think/hope) - simply "End Process" from TaskManager. Now, what on earth is Powerpoint still doing and why isn't it releasing memory like it's supposed to? Am I risking serious problems by my protocol? Is there a gentler way to get Powerpoint to behave?
    Incidentaly, I do a lot of copying and pasting between Powerpoint presentations. Is this related/causing the problem? Most applications ask, upon quitting, whether the clipboard should be emptied (if it's big). I haven't seen MSOffice applications ask it, and I wonder what they decide to do with the information.

Thanks,
    Alex

P.S. My setup is WinXP SP1, Pentium 4, ~2.5GHz, 512MB Ram; Powerpoint 2002, SP1; no spyware or viruses according to typical tools. FastSaves are disabled.

Thanks

Re: Powerpoint not Released from Memory (2002/SP1)

Actually, I've never heard of this. Outlook is known to run hidden in the background, but I have never experienced PowerPoint doing it.

Do you have multiple versions of PowerPoint installed? If not, do you open files by double-clicking in Windows Explorer? One possibility might be that there is something strange about your Windows File Types settings that could force multiple instances of PowerPoint to be running. Starting PowerPoint from its program icon and opening everything through File>Open should work around that, if it is the problem.

You could try running this script to see if it shuts down PowerPoint in a cleaner way than the Task Manager. Create a new text file with a .vbs extension (rather than a .txt) extension and paste this into it:

'-------------------
    Call ClosePowerPoint
    '-------------------
    Sub ClosePowerPoint()
    ' Try to create an object variable that refers to a running instance of PowerPoint
    On Error Resume Next
    Set appPP = GetObject(, "PowerPoint.Application")
    If err.number <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "Could not find PowerPoint running", vbInformation+vbOkOnly
    Exit Sub
    end if
    ' -- Temporary for diagnosis, comment out later --
    ' Make the application window visible
    appPP.visible = True
    ' Ask if user wants to quit, then do as instructed
    If msgbox("Quit PowerPoint?", vbQuestion+vbYesno) = vbyes then
    appPP.Quit
    End If
    ' -- Restore this for later immediate quitting --
    '' Use the built-in Quit command to Exit PowerPoint
    'appPP.Quit
    Set appPP = Nothing
    End Sub

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, I don't have any other versions installed and it doesn't appear that new processes of Powerpoint are getting started by each new file opened. In the task manager only one powerpnt.exe process is shown regardless of how many files are open. Now, granted, under the "Applications" tab of Task Manager multiple instances of powerpoint files are shown but they all point to the same one process (powerpnt.exe).

I went ahead and tested this a little bit. Regardless of how I open the files (from within powerpoint or from double-clicking on explorer), they behave the same way. Also, if I don't do much and close powerpoint, everything is fine. Clean quit. However, if I keep working for a while (and I still haven't figured out what that "while" is), then I notice the problem occurring. I'll exit powerpoint and start getting ready to backup my work when I notice the whole system is extremelly slow. Sure enough Powerpoint is using 99% of resources and no sign of giving up that memory. No idea what it's doing. My guess is that it's still toying with slides that I had been "copying and pasting" from one presentation to another. Perhaps something about the "temp" directory where copies of these files are kept? Anyway, not a big disaster - yet. Just wondering if I'm playing with fire here and if there's an easy solution (jscher2000, I have a script like that somewhere, thanks. I am more interested in the root cause and possible solution. So far the task manager force quitting is working fine...).

Thanks,
    Alex

Thanks

Maybe this is just a bug? Maybe it was fixed in SP2 or SP3?