2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DDE Syntax Question

I have a question regarding DDE syntax which, because I quote some DDE parameters in the message, appears to format very oddly in the board - The whole message is repeated as a quote of itself in the middle of itself - making it confusing to read. Thus, I've had to attach it as a Word document.

It's about my failing attempts to create a working "open as Read-Onl;y" option on the contact menu for MS Excel .XLS files.

Please have a read.

Many thanks
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DDE Syntax Question

See screenshot. Note: I use Excel 2002, the path displayed is for that version.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I use Excel 2003 and your screenshot details work a treat.

Are there any resources you're aware of that explain the syntax of the DDE messages in this Explorer-based context? I'm curious as to what the original message thought it was trying to do.

Thanks again.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The DDE commands are in fact the old Excel 4.0 macro functions. You can download the macro function help from Macrofun.exe File Available on Online Services. Install and open the help file, then look up the OPEN function.