Lounger
    Thanks

SMTP to Exchange

We have a product that uses SMTP exclusively to deliver email. We would like the smtp email to go through our Exchange server so we can receive notices of non delivery. Is there some way to relay this so it goes through the Exchange server and the sender receives responses?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SMTP to Exchange

Sure, you can enable SMTP relay in Exchange. Be careful though. Because if you create an "open relay" that will relay mail from anyone, then spammers will start using your server to deliver their stuff, and then you will be identified as a spammer, and a lot of people will block you, and it just gets worse from there on.

What version of Exchange? No one will be able to tell you how to do anything about anything if they don't know what software you are running.

Thanks

Regarding the open relay problem, you should be able to specify "permitted" IP addresses or address ranges and block all the others. You do not need to choose complete openness or closedness (is that a word?).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer guys are allowed to make up their own words.

I guess you can also make the relay more secure by only allowing "authenticated SMTP acces" I set it up this way to allow IMAP users access to my old Exchange 5.5 server./