5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Copy/Paste (Access 2000)

I am a novice in Access 2000 and a complete newbie in SQL, and I am wondering if there is a simple way to copy single records manually between one table and another, either from a table in SQL Enterprise Manager to one Access or between two tables in SQL Enterprise Manager. I tried a simple copy/paste, but got the error "The value you entered is not consistent with the data type or length of the column", although the two tables have identical columns (they are just two copies of the same table containing different records).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Copy/Paste (Access 2000)

After copying the info, did you use Paste/Append from the Edit menu? Ctrl-V keystroke does not work in this situation.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. However, I can't see a Paste/Append option (or an Edit menu).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Has Windows hidden some of your menu items with its goofy "collapsed menu" option? Is there an arrow at the bottom of the menu that will reveal more menu items?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

First off, it doesn't make much sense to have identical tables with different records, but we'll leave that aside for the moment. If you want to copy records in Access, link the SQL Server table to the Access front end. Then you should be able to do an append query to copy the records to the Access table. You can't copy to Access from within Enterprise Manager. For one thing, even though you may think the table structures are the same between SQL and Access, it's quite likely that they aren't, especially if your SQL Server tables contain datetime fields, "memo" fields, bit fields, and a few others. More detail would help.
    Charlotte