Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting and Re-installing Windows

I now have Windows 98SE and have finally decided to wipe the slate clean and start over with Windows XP. My question is this - I have a lot of add-ons to my system like a Wireless PCI card, a Geoforce Nvidia Graphics card PCI, and a USB 2.0 card update on my system. I have removed the USB card because I need that slot for another application. Before formatting and reinstalling Windows XP should I first remove the extra graphics card and start out with the on-board graphics card and remove the wireless card also? I would then I assume replace and install the new card and any others I need after the install. I have already disconnected my printer.

Thanks

Re: Formatting and Re-installing Windows

Windows Xp has a pretty complete stock of drivers for most of the mainline devices. I think I would leave the external graphics card in place. The wireless card is a toss up depending on whose card it is. If a major, I would leave it in also.
    The NVidia driver that MS installs will probably NOT be the most current but you can update it afterwards. Most of the Loungers will agree that so far as hardware drivers go, it's best to get the latest and greatest updates right from the manufacturer site rather than MS.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting and Re-installing Windows

I wouldn't really bother disconnecting and removing a lot o your peripherals just because you are reinstalling XP. I bet most of them will be recognized by Windows on installation and many will have built-in drivers (that will work, but maybe have all the bells and whistles). I've heard of some people that prefer to use built-in drivers if it supports their hardware sufficently because the assume that the built in windows drivers will be more"stable." I'm not sure I agree with that entirely, but I don't see any immediate contradictions, either.

Also, the chance of something random happening and screwing your gear by removing it may be much larger than your chance of having serious driver problems. I bet.

What I definetley would do is collect all the driver install files for your computer, whether they are the ones that you have installed or the newer ones on the manufacturer's web sites. Keep these at the ready so you can easily get your drivesr loaded properly after reloading. And don't trust your old CD's. They may have been damaged and unreadable since you last installed (I speak from experience).