4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New installation - but remebers previous files? (2003/sp1)

Dear Loungers,

I have been having a lot of email problems which finally I decided to cure by re-installing Outlook as all other efforts had failed ( I could send email and look at the internet but not receive email). You seem to have to un-install all of Office which is a nuisance but anyway having done this I reinstalled.

Outlook (and probably Office) seems not to clean up everything as on loading Outlook for the first time (after re-installation) it seemed to be looking for some files that were previously used, whilst I could put them back I would rather not because I want a completely clean installation to test with. On opening Outlook after installation asked for a file to find or create, I gave it a new name but the create it failed - stupidly I didn't record the message. Now on load I get this message " Cannot start Mocrosoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened" on pressing OK - the only option - Outlook closes so I can't investigate.

Has anyone an idea what the best thing to do is? where are the references to this "set of folders" and can I clean them out?

many thanks........................ liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New installation - but remebers previous files? (2003/sp1)

"The set of folders" probably refers to the folders in the .pst file (Inbox, Tasks, ...)
    Select Start | Control Panel.
    If you're on Windows XP and use category view in the control panel, click Other Control Panel Options.
    Open the Mail control panel.
    Click Data Files...
    You can see here which file(s) Outlook uses/thinks it uses. You can remove the existing files here and add (create) a new one.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear hans,

Thank you for this, it solved some of the problem!

I had previously attempted to create a data file, it did this as I can find it in my settings files but as I said before it will not open it and give that erro message. I took your advice and created a new data file and deleted te old one, this worked fine. However on opening Outlook it shows a whole list of addition data files that I have used in the past and are now deleted it looks like this:
    .....Liz Personal Folders (the new one I created)
    ..........Deleetd Items
    ..........Drafts
    ..........Inbox
    ..........etc
    .....General Business Mail (an old data file)
    .....Mail Filing 2004 (an old data file)
    .....The Tango Club (an old data file)

The last three are no longer used or in existence. If I try to "close" them using the rightclick menu they it complains that it can't find the object - not surprising as it doesn't exist. So how do I clean these up? In the mail settings the data files drop down list offers these files to select from but there is no housekeeping to remove them, perhaps it doesn't matter but my guess is that it is related to the files showing up in Outlook?

Any Ideas? many thanks...................... liz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I seem to have removed the "remembered" files problem by createing a new profile. I have the original mail problem but will craete a new post now I am in Outlook successfully.

thank you................. liz