Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't receive mail but can send (2003/SP1)

Umm, the subject and the body of your post are contradictory. Could you edit one or the other?

Subject: Can't receive mail but can send
    Body: can get to the internet and receive mail but cannot send mail

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Can't receive mail but can send (2003/SP1)

Can you post the error message(s) that Outlook gives when you Send/Receive?

Also, do any of your servers show a local address such as 127.0.0.1?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can receive mail but can't send (2003/SP1)

Dear Loungers,

NOTE: subject now corrected so Hans reply now addressed - sorry

Has anyone else encoutered a problem where they can get to the internet and receive mail but cannot send mail?

My ISP assures me it is not them, and my account setting look OK, they suggested it may be a conflict with Norton, I use Norton Internet Security, however Norton don't think so and anyway I removed Norton and the problem still existed. I have also in-installed Outlook and reinstalled it but the problem remains. Any ideas?

yours in frustration...................... liz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can receive mail but can't send (2003/SP1)

Ok, having fixed the subject and body conflict this is what happens:

I get a dialogue box to enter my username and password: showing the server as mail.btinternet.com which is correct, I can type my user name and passwors but on pressing OK it does not accept it and simply returns to the dialogue box, after several goes I cancel it, in fact sometimesthe box returns and I have to cancel again. They Send/Receive progress display shows this message:

Task 'liz - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts.'

My user name and password is correct and my configuration has been checked by my ISP as correct and they can't explain what is happening. The SMTP server requitres authentication and I use the same setting as the incoming server; I have proved it is not a conflict with my firewall/virus software.
    I have reinstalled Outlook. Although I have some doubts about this as there was some evidence the Outlook/Office/Windows retains some settings so perhaps whatever causes this error is also retained.

I wasn't sure what you were asking about the local address... where do you think this may be seen?

very frustrating.........what next???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you sure that Norton Internet Security is not blocking this?

I have had so many problems with systems running Norton Internet Security, that it was removed and some of the problems went away. I will NOT use Norton Internet Security.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

The "brute force" approach is described in <post#=405416>post 405416</post#>. In brief, it involves re-entering your account information as a "new" account to see if that works, and then deleting the old account if it is no longer needed. By account I mean only the mail account and server information, not the entire profile (which includes address books, data files, etc.).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SOLVED - Can receive mail but can't send

Dear Loungers thank you for all your suggestions, in fact I had tried all of them previously to no avail. Through an entirely independent inquiry with my ISP the problem has been identified - their sales team, who I was speaking to about another matter, identified that my eamil address was associated with my sister's account and vice versa, this was causing the problem. How this happen they can't explain, why the technical team could not identify this they can't explain and they can't do anything about my wasted two weeks of email grief other than say sorry.

I am sorry to have wasted you time so thank you and I hope we get better support staff for all situations as I am really tired of explaining everything to someone who clearly doesn't understand and probably knows less than me!!

happy lounging........................... liz