Thanks

Subform Mystery (2003)

In my Access application, fsubAllFound is a subform to frmMain. Its data source is tblAllFound. My application is linked to tblAllFound, which is in a separate back-end database.

When adding text boxes, code, etc. to fsubAllFound, sometimes Access can't seem to find certain fields in tblAllFound, and error messages ensue. (Usually the text boxes contain some sort of formula, sometimes as simple as concatenating text to whatever is in the field.)

By luck, I found a solution: in Design View, show the Field List for tblAllFound, then drag the troublesome field(s) into fsubAllFound. You can immediately delete the resulting text box, and from then on, Access can find the field.

I'm a relative newbie, so this mystifies me a bit, but I've learned to live with it. My local guru is a smart guy who works with Access every day, and he's never seen this behavior. Maybe it's normal, maybe it's not, but it seems a bit strange.

Any explanations?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subform Mystery (2003)

I'm using Access 2002 instead of 2003. I can't remember ever having seen that behavior.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The usual way to handle this is to drag the field onto the form and then hide the control and refer to the *control* rather than the field. It isn't terribly safe to try to directly address the fields in the recordset since that bypasses the constraints built into the form.
    Charlotte

Thanks

That's what I started doing when I first had the problem. Then I discovered (by accident, of course) that I could remove the *control* and the problem wouldn't recur when I referred to the *field*.

Doing it in the way you suggest seems like a wise course of action.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA