Thread: Out of Ports

Thanks

Out of Ports

I have Cable internet service, and come out of the modem to a linksys wireless router. I currently have 2 PC's, a laptop, and my VOip phone conected to the router. I choose to keep the laptop connected because I transfer a lot of files back and forth to it from the PC. My problem is I am out of ports and need to add another computer. Im not sure what I need I get different answers as to whether I should use a hub or a switch. I want to come out of the router to the hub, and plug in the new PC and one of the others into it. Am I headed in the right direction, or am I totally out of it....
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Out of Ports

Either a hub or a switch will do. Hubs are rarely used nowadays, because switches do a much better job for very little extra cost.

StuartR

Thanks

A brief description on the differences can be found here.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had such a setup here in my home until I recently dismantled it for lack of need. At the time, I used a hub but as Stuart and Leif have pointed out, a switch would probably be better. The LAN worked quite well and I had no problems to speak of.

Thanks

Thanks all. that really helps. I think I will go with.........(insert drum roll here)......
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Took your advice and went with a switch. Disconnected one computer from the router, and connected the switch in its place. Plugged in the computer that I disconnected from the router to the switch and voila that one was back on line. Connected the last computer to the switch and voila that one is now on line as well. Thanks much guys.
    Thanks John