Thread: CD Problem

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CD Problem

I have just transferred some backup files to a CD-R on one of my two networked PCs. However, it cannot be read on my other PC. I do not think the CD is faulty as it can be read on the original PC and also on my laptop. Nor do I think the CD drive is at fault as it plays other CDs with no trouble. Any ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Problem

Yes. I used Direct CD. I right -clicked on the files and chose SendTo DirectCD Drive. When I ejected the CD I checked the box saying it could be read on any CD drive. It works perfectly on my laptop which doesn't have DirectCD.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you use something like DirectCD to drag the files to the CD in Windows Explorer? If so, the same software should be running on the other PC, otherwise it won't be able to read the CD.
    If that is not the case, did you close the session after transferring the files? If not, some drives may not be able to read the CD.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would try one of the other methods of copying files to a data CD. You can alsosee if lowering the recording speed makes a difference. I have found that CDs recorded at or near the maximum rated speed will usually read back OK on the same CD device, but may be partially or wholly unreadable on other PCs.