New Lounger

Link to File (Graphic) (Word 2003 (No SP1))

I have a template (.dot) file which has a graphic linked into it. The graphic is stored on the same network drive as the template. The graphic is a .gif, the PC is running Windows XP SP1 with Word 2003. Service Pack 1 is not installed. The link to the graphic is visible via Edit > Links.

When the template is opened sometimes the graphic does not appear, a white space with a red cross in the top corner appears instead. Other times the graphic does appear. The link to the server holding the template and graphic are reasonably quick and are not saturated with traffic. I have tried this at times when the link and the server are not heavily loaded and the problem still occurs. I have tried multiple users opening the same template this has no bearing on the issue, and it is not permissions related as users have write access to both the template and the graphic.

When the graphic does appear Word pauses for a few seconds before loading the graphic. When the graphic doesn't appear Word loads the template several seconds sooner, either Word cannot find the graphic, cannot load the graphic or doesn't even try to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Link to File (Graphic) (Word 2003 (No SP1))

Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

You already ruled out several possibilities, this might be a hard nut to crack. There are a few tips in The graphics in my document have turned into red X's on the Word MVP site.