Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Freeze after Screen Saver (XP SP2)

Hi,

My laptop PC (running on AC power) sometimes exhibits an annoying behavior:
    - I've walked away from it for a lengthy time (an hour or two or even more).
    - I come back to it and the screen saver is on (that's ok).
    - I move the mouse and the screen saver goes away (ok).
    - It's replaced by my desktop background with no icons (ok).
    - I wait for the system to give me the welcome screen so I can select my user id and get back to work - never happens.

Now the system seems frozen. CTRL+ALT+Delete does nothing, not even a task manager. The only recourse I seem to have is to turn the system off, wait a little, and turn it back on. This usually works, although there is a noticeable delay after selecting my ID (which is the only one on the machine) while XP is setting up my desktop.

I've checked my screensaver and power settings. Nothing obvious. But I'm not sure I'd recognize anything to change in the power settings even if there was something there.

This doesn't happen often and I haven't seen any pattern in terms of how long I might be away. I've left the machine on over night and not had this happen. Then again, it happened last night when I went out to dinner for about 2 hours. I recently loaded SP2 but it's happened both before and after that.

I've done a search of the index and found 1 item that seemed remotely related. Checked the EVENTVWR but didn't see anything obvious (then again, I'm not sure I know what I was looking at).

Any ideas?

TIA

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freeze after Screen Saver (XP SP2)

Well, I haven't had a laptop for awhile and when I did, they were always Gateways. I had similar problems and was told by Gateway to go in to the laptop's BIOS and turn off any power management that was in there. It seems that the BIOS and Windows were BOTH trying to manage the power and would cause lockups. So, I think the first thing to do is check your BIOS and if there is anything there about power management, turn it off. See what happens. Let Windows handle your power management.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freeze after Screen Saver (XP SP2)

Hi Al,

Thks for the response.

I should have mentioned this is an HP Pavilion. The settings when I boot up don't even have any power management items - very surprising since I've seen them on other machines I've owned.

Fred