5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KVM switches vs.fancy wireless mice and kbd's

We are trying to successfully use a 2-port KVM switch with a wireless keyboard and mouse, with all the fancy extra buttons and side-scrolling wheels and such. We've tried a few different models of Iogear and Belkin, but we have problems.

The first main problems seem to be that the switch will work properly for a few times, and then get "stuck" on one of the PCs. The other is that sometimes the advanced featuers of the devices (such as side scrolling mouse button) will not operate properly.

With everyone using one PC at home and one PC at the office, and carrying a laptop in between, this is definetely something that we would like to solve. I'm going to talk to my sales rep for my big account and see if he can guarantee return privileges so I can try a couple of them, including the more expensive ones from Aten & Avocent.

Does anyone use a KVM with a wireless mousekey/keyboard and have any success stories? I would love some suggestions for models to try.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How 'bout a KVM with USB

If your battery operated deviced (you know them as "wireless") work through a USB connection, you may want to consider a KVM switch with the USB capability. I know Belkin makes them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How 'bout a KVM with USB

I know them as wireless because the products are named and advertised as "Wireless" and also because they use radio (a.k.a "the wireless") to transmit data. Not because they use batteries.

Unfortunately, we haven't found a Belkin. usb or otherwise, that works reliably and supports all the mouse features.

I'm off to change the battery in my wireless SUV

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My suggestion is to buy a $10 wired keyboard and $10 wired mouse and use them. I have a 4-way KVM switch and it works great. I have tried several wireless keyboards and mouses (mice are rodents) on single PCs over the years and have never been fully happy with them for the reason you cite.

One thing I have noticed with KVM switches is the quality of the cables matter - in particular with the video as you are often doubling the video cable length.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>My suggestion is to buy a $10 wired keyboard and $10 wired mouse and use them. I have a 4-way KVM switch and it works great. I have tried several wireless keyboards and mouses (mice are rodents) on single PCs over the years and have never been fully happy with them for the reason you cite. <hr>

Thanks but, we already know that. Just trying to find out if there are any manufacturers that have figured out how to do better.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I think the manufacturers THINK they have figured out how to do it better, but in practice, it just does not seem to pan out. I would be interested in knowing your solution - if you don't mind being a guinea pig!
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────