2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File sharing problem (Access97)

I have an Access database on a business network server that is used on multiple staff computers. All staff have full permissions for the directory the database is in (or so the IT Dept assures me). Staff can view the database concurrently, but not make changes. Is there some way I can enable them all to make changes without having to run around asking others to close their instance of the database? Many thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File sharing problem (Access97)

Check whether record locking has been set to "All records". This can be set in the properties of queries and of forms.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I'll try that when I am back at work on Monday.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Default Record Locking is set to

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When you talk about "make changes" , do you mean changes to the data, or changes to the design of database objects such as forms, report queries etc.

You can't do the latter unless you have exclusive use of the database.(Just noticed that you use 97, which does allow desing changes without exclusive use.)
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apologies, I should have specified that. Changes to DATA, not to the design.
    I would love to upgrade our version of Access at work, but we are a public hospital with a perenially-tight budget, so no hope of that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would check the truth of IT's statement that all staff have full permissions for the folder containing the database. If there are no record locks, not being able to create, delete or modify the .ldb file is the most probable explanation of the problem. Access uses the .ldb file to keep track of active users.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I presume you can make changes to the data? If so then Hans' response has to be the issue - and the key is the folder permission. Access 97 will normally delete the .ldb file when the last person exits the database. Then the next person who opens the database has to create the .ldb file and be able to make changes in it. That file inherits its permissions from the folder.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finally got the answer to this problem from one of the techs in the IT Dept. On the Data tab under Form Properties, set the Recordset Type to Dynaset (inconsistent updates) and Record Locks to Edited Record.
    Thanks to all who contributed. I always learn something from replies that don't solve the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That can be an issue for queries - it should never be the case for tables. I presume you were using a query as the data source. You should also be somewhat careful with using the Inconsistent Updates, though the Dynaset option is normally appropriate. The Locks setting is appropriate for this query, but typically you will want the general option for the database to be No Locks. (It isn't really "no locks" - it will still warn you when there is a conflict). Glad you were able to sort out the issue.
    Wendell